About the Nova Scotia Maintenance Enforcement Program (MEP)
The Maintenance Enforcement Program (MEP) is a free service that helps you pay or receive court-ordered maintenance payments. These payments could be for child or spousal support.
- The person who has to pay maintenance (the payor) sends the money to us.
- We then send the money to the person who is supposed to receive the maintenance (the recipient).
You do not have to enrol in MEP, but there are good reasons to do so:
- We keep an accurate record of all payments made and received.
- We protect your personal information.
- We act as a buffer between payors and recipients.
- We work with the MEPs in other provinces if the payor or recipient live outside Nova Scotia.
- We can take enforcement action if payments are not made. No one other than MEP can enforce an order to pay maintenance.